Friday, November 7, 2008

Top 10 Strangest Phobias

I've come across some weird phobias in my years as a hypnotherapist. One that stands out is a woman who was afraid of frogs (also known as "ranidaphobia") to such an extent that she couldn't even bear to be in a room covered in frog wallpaper.

[note: I also have an aversion to such wallpaper, but it's never made me break out in a cold sweat]



I've cured a woman's 30-year phobia of cats, done a lot of work with fear of flying and claustrophobia, but this list really has some doozies. For those of you who are affected by a paralyzing phobia yourselves, perhaps this list will help you feel a bit less unusual.

My experience as a therapist has shown me that just about everyone has some weird quirks they hide from even their closest friends (but not from me), so keep that in mind as you seek help with your own.

Here are a few to get you started...

1. Zemmiphobia-Fear of the great mole rat.
2. Anablephobia-Fear of looking up.
3. Consecotaleophobia-Fear of chopsticks.
4. Geniophobia-Fear of chins.
5. Taphephobia Taphophobia-Fear of being buried alive or of cemeteries. (check out my previous blog entry for more on this one)

See the rest of the Top 10 by clicking right here.

No comments: