Sunday, November 16, 2008

How Not to Cure a Phobia - Part 2

This one is much more common than my previous post about a man who's trying to cure his fear of being buried alive by sleeping inside a coffin. Many, many people who are afraid of flying use a combination of pills and alcohol to calm their anxiety.



Not only is that a very ineffective way to overcome a fear, it also happens to be dangerous. Take the following story as an extreme example... a worst-case scenario of what can happen when going about things the wrong way.

From the London Sunday Express (click the link below for the full story):


TERROR ON JET AS CHARITY WORKER DRANK TO CURE HIS FEAR OF FLYING

A CHARITY worker whose behaviour brought terror to a holiday flight had been drinking to cure his fear of flying.

Derek Kirkwood, 58, downed up to 12 miniature bottles of brandy and wine together with a pill.
But far from soothing his nerves, the alcohol transformed him into a drunken yob during a four-hour flight from Gran Canaria to Manchester.

First, he threatened to kick an air stewardess “up the bottom” and then he picked on another passenger saying: “You’re a big man up here – let’s see if you are a big man on the ground.” Even when the cabin manager tried to intervene Kirkwood swore at him and said: “I’ll sort you out at the airport.”

At Manchester Crown Court, Kirkwood was handed a suspended four-month jail term. Judge Andrew Lowcock told him: “Your behaviour was loutish, rude and unpleasant. You made life a misery for your other passengers. I am told you are frightened of flying but your fear is no excuse for what you did.”

In court on Thursday shame-faced Kirkwood, of Askham-in-Furness, Cumbria, admitted being drunk on an aircraft and was ordered to complete 180 hours of unpaid work and to pay £700 in costs.

Click here for the full story
---------------

How you think is how you feel, and if your automatic thoughts associated with flying are terrifying, you will experience terrifying feelings physically. Downing pills or alcohol may deaden some of those feelings, but the experience will still remain unpleasant.

Of course, even if you "get through" the flight without freaking out and threatening other passengers, you'll feel extraordinarily lousy afterwards... not to mention the fact that your fear will still be there the next time you need to take a flight.

Change your thoughts and change your feelings. Here's a brief testimonial from one of my clients who had a fear of flying for more than 25 years:

"I had a fear of flying. No, scratch that. Actually it was a phobia of flying. Just the thought of going to an airport made me sick to my stomach.

I was told I needed to travel to L.A. on a business trip and I needed to travel alone. I knew I wouldn't be able to go. A friend gave me Sean's information and told me to call him. I did.


I arrived at Sean's office and he told me he may be able to "cure" my disease in an hour. 'Yeah right,' I thought. That's impossible. I had been dealing with this paralyzing phobia for 25 years.


At the end of the session, one hour later, my mind was relaxed and at ease. My trip to L.A. was scheduled for the next day and not only was the fear gone, but excitement took its place. He told me that the more I flew the more fun I would have each trip. He was right.


I now fly all over the country on trips by myself... trips that I make for myself! I have fun and feel safe. Turbulence doesn't even bother me. It's amazing how liberated and strong I feel now as a result of my therapy session with Sean.

I recommend his services to everyone I know. It's the right choice. And best of all, it's an alternative to medication that's everlasting.
Thank you, Sean! You've changed my life."

-Whitney
Atlanta, GA

-------------

While not everyone will lose their fear after one hour of hypnosis, Whitney's results are fairly common. Usually, it requires three or fewer sessions, but often one will do the trick, if it's handled properly by an experienced hypnotherapist or NLP practicioner.

No comments: